Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Basic Tech part 2- The rechargeable battery

So my ability to hear hinges on the life of my batteries- as my hearing devices run on batteries. For years, my husband and I have held a Sams Club membership solely for the discount at which we can buy hearing aid batteries in bulk.  I remember as a college student getting my first set of hearing aids and realizing that I would have to budget in the cost of hearing aid batteries within my already meager earnings. In the end it wasn't a huge burden- but I have got hearing aid batteries stashed EVERYWHERE. As an interpreter for the deaf- my ability to work depended on my ability to hear for my clients and interpret auditory information correctly and efficiently. I have batteries stashed in a cabinet at work, at home (desk and medicine cabinet), and in every purse, bag, or box I have ever used as well. I can't afford to be at work without batteries for my aids.

Well they've finally gotten over the love of zinc-air batteries for cochlear processors, thank goodness as they go through them like water through a colander. Now days they recommend rechargeable batteries for use with a cochlear processor. With my processor I received 3 rechargeable batteries which go into a charging stand every night.

 As you can see here, the green light indicates these batteries are charged. If the battery is still charging, the light at the base will turn blue until it is done charging.



Each battery lasts between 10-25 hours depending on the size and use. I have two batteries that the roger receiver will hook onto- which are quite large with the receiver attached. I have one smaller battery that will allow my processor to fit into a small, specially made waterproof box made by Advanced Bionics.  I'll admit I was a bit leary of a rechargeable battery because they tend to eventually stop taking a charge. This happens a lot with my students - And this is still true of these rechargeable batteries. After about 3 years of use, they stop taking a full charge- as this is the nature of the rechargeable battery. The batteries can be replaced as long as they are still under warranty.

While you can purchase a zinc-air battery case that will hook onto your processor and work just fine- I don't really recommend it unless it is a back-up option. Processors are pretty high-tech these days and they go through batteries really fast. Several of my students go through batteries every 2-3 days and this at 2 batteries at a time per processor. That's kinda pricey as they also tend to use the larger, size 675 batteries.

Now ask me what I plan to do at Gulf Wars next year? I'm not entirely sure. We are members of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA.org) and camp for a week every year in Mississippi at a war event in a canvas tent. I won't have much access to power during that week. I guess I'll have to see whether I can appeal to a powered spot like constables or possibly to friends staying in the hotel on site to plug my charger in.  This would have been one of the times a zinc-air battery case as a backup would have been smart. Oh well- maybe if I save up, I can convince my husband to just forgo the camping and get a hotel nearby for the week. Thats my kind of camping! He may be able to use a marine battery to run his CPAP all week, but I think it might just fry my delicate little batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment